Prints (Beginners) - No Longer Contested
This was written by Keith Donald who was one of the schoolboys. It also
refers to the Southern Cross Trophy. Way back in 1942, two aviation nuts at the Hove County School for Boys formed a spotters club and as a contribution to the war effort instructed factory roof spotters in the art of aircraft recognition. Meetings were held in a church hall in the Southern Cross area of Portslade - hence the name. The club was successful and won the South Eastern aircraft recognition contest. With the end of hostilities the club turned to building and flying model aircraft and won the club entry at the Model Engineering Exhibition in London. Flying from the Downs above Southwick the club became a force to be reckoned with, winning several national competitions and holding several national records. The clubs flying area was slowly being taken over by the farming of cereals and the club closed in the late 60s. Most of the trophies were returned to the donors and the remainder presented to HPS.