SOUTHERN CROSS TROPHY
PDI Photographer of the Year Portfolio - Six Images
This was also written by Keith Donald (who was one of the schoolboys) and
is repeated under the Pavilion Cup. Way back in 1942, two aviation nuts at the Hove County School for Boys formed a spotters club and as a contribution to the war effort instructed factory roof spotters in the art of aircraft recognition. Meetings were held in the church hall in the Southern Cross area of Portslade - hence the name. The club was successful and won the South Eastern aircraft recognition contest. With the end of the hostilities the club turned to building and flying model aircraft and won the club entry at the Model Engineering exhibition in London. Flying from the Downs above Southwick the club became a force to be reckoned with, winning several national competitions and holding several national records. At this time a fellow member and myself ran a news-sheet for the S.E.Area, SEADOG or South East Area Digest of Gen. the news-sheet is still being produced by our successors. The club’s flying area was slowly being taken over by the farming of cereals and the club closed in the late 60s. Most of the trophies were returned to their donors and the remainder presented to HPS.
P.S. At a 50th anniversary of the supporters club in 1992 over 90 past members attended, including David Mills!